My Hypertextual Life
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
  Stop Looking At Me!

There's something completely nerve racking about having the class you teach observed by an "outsider." It's like having someone evaluate the way you walk, or talk (in fact, it is). I consider class time a sacred sort of rendezvous, not for everyone, just those invited. But, alas, I'm not the only one with power to make invitations (such is the life of a GA.) I think it went well, but the only thing I can say for sure is that I'm glad it's over. I guess I can understand the importance of monitoring our progress as bunting professors of knowledge, but it doesn't make it any easier. I make mistakes, say things I shouldn't, let my class out early (on occasion) and even *gasp* cancelled class on Friday. I don't teach out of the manual, so to speak; I teach on a much more human level. My students are not a bunch of walking statistics to me, they are people, with names and problems— and they make mistakes too. I guess, by making them myself, I'm showing my class that it's alright.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]